Tuesday, 22 May 2007


Joel: So yes, we ended up watching the Champions League 3rd/4th place play-off match in an English Pub just off Sukhumvit in central Bangkok. Bit of a disappointing night really, sitting through such a poor game and then experiencing the bizarre closing down of the after-hours club. At least now we're all set up for tomorrow night and can watch the final at 1:45am in the comfort of our own bed.

Today, we travelled to school on our new bike. I've got the hang of it quite quickly and already feel quite safe riding around the back lanes and dirt tracks of Takhli. I really never imagined I would ever own a motorbike but it became our only real option here. The town seems so much smaller already. Now I'm really looking forward to having the freedom to explore the area.

Teaching here is lots of fun. The lowest level classes surprisingly aren't the most difficult and most classes have a couple of characters in them that help keep the atmosphere light and fun. One really nice aspect of Thai society that I really wasn't aware of is the presence of the Kathoeys. At the training in Ban Phe, a few times the instructors mentioned that the Kathoeys are usually the best students in each class, not only the brightest but also the most confident in speaking out in front of the class. I had no idea who these Kathoeys were. It was a while before I was told that Kathoey is the Thai for lady-boy.

For me, the notion of the Thai lady-boy conjures up images of cabaret or sex clubs. I automatically think of the seedier side of Thai culture. But already I'm coming to understand that this is just a tiny and hardly relevant aspect of their presence in Thai society. The Kathoeys in my classes are generally among the brightest and most often the least shy. They always sit with the girls and my understanding is that, in simple terms, they are young, camp, homosexual boys. The great thing about Thai society is that it appears they are completely accepted and respected by all the other boys, no matter what the age group. I can remember pretty clearly from my school days how the word “queer” was hurled by idiots at anyone not completely idiotic. Kids who actually are gay in England must have a truly terrible time. Thais society is clearly a hell of a lot more sorted out in this regard.

One thing that's started to make me less than happy here is having to regularly patrol the kitchen with a tissue to wipe up all the gecko shit. I haven't got a problem with them coming into our house, especially if they help us out by eating lots of insects, I just with they didn't leave these little presents behind for me every morning. I've tried to blog up one end of our kitchen roof to stop them (and rats) getting in but it's a bigger job than I thought. There's a gap almost all around the ceiling through which they can easily get. Suppose I'll have to get used to it.

This weekend, as part of our contract, we're required to help out at an English Camp that's been organised by Mediakids, at our school. Next week though, we've got Thursday off for "Buddha day". We've had a good run with national holidays and the like so far but I'm sure it won't last forever. People are beginning to ask us to do private classes for themselves, friends and relatives. I don't mind doing some here and there but not regularly and certainly not at weekends. We didn't travel to the tropics to work a six day week you know.


No comments: